Sailing to International countries with a cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailing to International countries with a cat

We live aboard our sailboat and are about to sail around the world with our cat. Our first countries will include Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, then all the islands in the Caribbean on to S America through the Panama Canal to Galapagos and then S Pacific islands and Australia and New Zealand, etc etc. Does anyone have first hand experience with traveling with a pet aboard to any of these countries? We have checked the noonsite.com pet section and have read many documents about regulations and are still concerned.

Re: Sailing to International countries with a cat

Hello Mayayana - Over the past 4 years we have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and the Bahamas with our dog and our cat. We have found that the cat is little problem in terms of immigration as the cat always stays on the boat. If you do not plan to take it ashore you should have few if any problems.

If you do wish to take it ashore the regulations vary a great deal. Many of the countries you wish to visit are very pet friendly. A few of them are virtually impossible to take a pet ashore.

At a minimum you need to have the car micro chipped with the ISO 15 digit microchip and you should need to have a blood titer test done before you leave the US. I have been advising traveling pet owners and providing them with the necessary forms and instructions for traveling with their pet for 16 years and would be happy to help you.
    Jerry

Comment

Hi there, My wife and I are just starting to plan our sail around thr world with our 2 dogs and I would love to have some help from you if possible. We are sailing out of Sydney Australia and going straight to the pacific islands to start. Would be of great help if I could get this info about necessary forms and instructions for traveling with pets from you. My email is marioforni@gmail.com

Truly appreciate your help,
      Mario

Comment

Hi Mario - you can find requirements to import a pet for countries worldwide here: http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X