Travelin across the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelin across the country

I will be moving from Florida to California in early April. Im trying to decide if it would be less traumatic for my 11 year old golden retriever to drive in the car for 3-5 days. or take a direct 5 hour flight. I would appreciate any information you could give me on the best airline for him to fly.
    Thanks so much!

Re: Travelin across the country

Beth - this is a decision only you and your veterinarian can make. Is your pet in good health? Does your pet travel in the car well over long distances? Is your pet used to being in a crate? Has your pet flown before? What is your pet's personality like? All of these play a factor in your decision. What you need to do is to weigh 5 hours in the air versus 3-5 days in the car and what would be less stressful for both you and your pet. Should you decide to fly, we would suggest choosing the airline with the most direct flight (non-stop is best if possible). Both Delta and United have pet programs, but other airlines do carry pets. US based airlines are required to report all incidents to the Department of Transportation, and as a pet owner, you can be proactive to protect your pet's safety. Watch your pet being boarded or ask the gate attendant to give you confirmation of your pet's boarding. Tell the Captain that there is very precious cargo in the hold and to monitor the pressure and temperature regularly. And, if temperatures are very cold or hot, long times sitting on the tarmac can expose your pet to extreme temperatures when flights are delayed on the runway. We all hear about the incidents, but what we don't hear is how many pets are transported safely every day.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Beth717 View Post
      I will be moving from Florida to California in early April. Im trying to decide if it would be less traumatic for my 11 year old golden retriever to drive in the car for 3-5 days. or take a direct 5 hour flight. I would appreciate any information you could give me on the best airline for him to fly.
      Thanks so much!
      My advice the same - speak with veterinarian

Comment

Hello Beth, according to my experience taking a dog for 5 days long in a car can be a very hectic job. I remember when I took my 5 year dog with me on 2 days journey in my car. It is certainly not an easy thing. I suggest you should take the flight instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth717 View Post
          Thanks so much!
          I agree with Greatjourneys! Because my experience was not so good when I travel with my dog in a car for 3 days. It's was very difficult for me and for my pet dog. You should take a flight for your journey. It's good and better for you and your golden retrieve.

Comment

Working...
          X