Sedating Pets for Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sedating Pets for Flight

Is it alright to sedate pets before a flight? My pet Tony, who's a brown dachshund gets overexcited/anxious when riding on a plane. Probably it's the combination of the noise, plus the fact that he'll be away from me for most of the flight.

I've been looking into sedating him before the flight, and hoping that it would keep him relaxed for the duration of our trip back to Canada this May. Ever since we got him he's been very anxious when riding planes. We've ridden once from the US to Germany, and he was whimpering a lot before the flight. Come to think of it, when we got him from Sweden last October (he's named after Tonyspizzeria.se by the way, in Sweden, a popular pizzeria there) he cried a lot during the flight too.

Would sedating him help him through the flight?

Re: Sedating Pets for Flight

If your Dachshund is flying in the cabin with you, try an all-natural pet calmer like one of these: http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-calmers/ Try them at home first to see the effects. If this does not work for your pet, speak to your vet about a mild sedative. It is not as critical as for pets traveling in the hold, although it does slow down their breathing. Your vet can advise you best.
    Susan

Comment

Re: Sedating Pets for Flight

Sedate them. Nothing else will work if you have a wild pup on a flight. I'm not saying your dog would bite, just that it would really be very uncomfortable for them, especially on long flights to be wide awake all throughout. Think of the stress this will have on your dog. My vet recommended I sedate my retriever for a 3 hr flight to the Vegas Pr****asino.se last year, and thank God for that.

Comment

Working...
      X