Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 rabies vaccinated adult cats coming to Toronto from Italy. What do I need to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 rabies vaccinated adult cats coming to Toronto from Italy. What do I need to do?

I am Canadian who has been living in Italy for 20 years and we plan to return to Canada with our 2 cats (7 and 3 years old) in August. I have just had both of them vaccinated against rabies (Italy is not a rabies free country) and microchipped. I am having difficulty understanding if there is an issue with the fact that I have done this 6 months before departure? And what else do I need to do? We are booking an Air Canada flight home because Transat requires cats to be kept in baggage and I want them both in cabin. What do I need to do now? Call Air Canada and tell them we have animals? I suppose there must be a fee? Any advice or info?

Re: 2 rabies vaccinated adult cats coming to Toronto from Italy. What do I need to do

Ruth - it is fine to vaccinate your kitties 6 months prior to entering Canada. However, to leave Italy, your cats must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies, in that order. They should have an EU pet passport prior to leaving Italy as well. If they are chipped, then vaccinated, you are good to go with an EU pet passport.

You should let Air Canada know that you are traveling with your kitties, because they have a limit on the number of animals that can travel in the cabin on each flight. There will be a fee and they can tell you that. (between $150 and $200) Your kitties should be acclimated to their carriers. It will make a big difference on travel day.
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X