Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cat carrier is best to use for in cabin, airline approved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cat carrier is best to use for in cabin, airline approved?

Hi,

I have 3 cats and could be moving to Vancouver, Canada in the near future but not sure when yet. I live in Portugal at the moment by the way so itís going to be big move.

I am wanting to make my cats as comfortable as possible on the flight in the cabin, but not sure what cat carrier to go with.

I already like the look of the sherpa on wheels or the sturdibag.

Can anyone recommend a good in cabin, airline approved cat carrier from personal experience?

Thanks,

Katie

Re: What cat carrier is best to use for in cabin, airline approved?

The Sturdibag was made for cats. Allows for extra height and can "squish" down to fit under the seat. Also very light which is important for international flights.
    Susan

Comment

Thanks for your view on the cat carries!
      Much appreciated!

Anyone else? I need as many opinions as possible to help me decide what is going to be best for my cats!

Comment

A cat doesn't really need a huge space, but having enough is good. Generally for airlines these days a soft carrier that's not too big should work fine. It needs to be able to go under the seat in front of you for at least takeoff and landing. (When booking don't select a bulkhead seat at very front where there's a wall in front of you instead.) So to me there's a little bit of flexibility there, even the specs of the JetBlue carrier are taller than it's supposed to be. I believe 8" is meant to be the seat clearance for a rigid object. So if the carrier turns out to be more like 10" tall but you can stuff it into the 8" space for a short time, I think they'll be fine. And if there's room, during your flight you may be able to take the carrier out from under the seat. (If your flight is packed full, though, you may not be able to do this, or at least not for very long or very easily.)

So for example I think you can do well with a medium Sherpa, which is 17x11x10.5. The large size would probably be an issue because the 19" length would make it stick out from the seat too much. Sherpa also makes a cat tote which is 16x9x11. Actually I think the Sherpa Ultimate might be a nicer pick; the Deluxe original is very open on the sides, and the Ultimate gives a way to close that in a bit more. The cat will probably be happier being less exposed, more hidden as it were.

Comment

Working...
        X