Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cat in hold from Germany to US - anyone could have picked her up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat in hold from Germany to US - anyone could have picked her up!

Hi everyone, I'm just new here to relay my experience..

Yesterday I flew from Germany to JFK in New York using Air Berlin. My cat was in the hold. When I arrived at the airport and passed through immigration, I entered the baggage claim hall. After trying to figure out where to pick up my cat, someone from the airport staff directed me to a corner for 'special luggage' pickups.

When I arrived there, I saw the bench with my cat in it. Yay! But.. there was nobody there to guard her! Not a single soul. I looked around for a minute. Played with her for a couple more. Then, I picked her up and walked through customs. They didn't even bother to check if the cat was actually mine. Nothing. They asked me, "cat or dog" without even looking. When I said cat, I could just pass through without any paperwork, not even checking the baggage label on the bench.

What the ....? This means ANYONE could have walked out the airport with my cat, and I'd never know what had happened to her. This can't be normal practice, can it??

Re: Cat in hold from Germany to US - anyone could have picked her up!

In many cases it is. The airlines simply do not have personnel that is able to guard animals while passengers get to baggage claim. The handlers are responsible for getting cargo to the terminal and they are off to another gate. It is very unsettling, for sure. I am glad that all worked out OK.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I didn't read about this anywhere. Had I known this beforehand, I would have never put the cat in hold.

Comment

Strange...
        How any airport management so irresponsible.

Comment

Working...
        X