travelling with cats from UK to Trinidad and back in 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelling with cats from UK to Trinidad and back in 6 months

Hi, we are posted for work to Port of Spain for 6 months, due to travel from UK in August 2012 and back February 2013. As we have two house cats, we are looking to take them with us as it's too long to board them or leave them with someone else. Can you please help with some advice on shipment from UK to Trinidad and back to UK in 6 months? We found some UK agencies that can ship one way from UK but not back and also would we require anything from Trinidad authorities to avoid quarantine? The info on internet varies and the Ministry of Agriculture is not replying to my email. Ideally we would like to take them into the cabin when flying but not many airlines allow that, mostly if the flight is not direct.
    Thanks!

Re: travelling with cats from UK to Trinidad and back in 6 months

To take your cats into Trinidad several things are required. The cats must be micro chipped with the ISO 15 digit microchip and then vaccinated for rabies. They must each have a blood titer test at least 5 months in advance of arrival in Trinidad to avoid quarantine. You must also file for an import permit well in advance of arrival. When you are ready to return to the UK you will visit a veterinarian in Trinidad and have him complete the Annex II veterinary certificate for the UK. I am not aware of any airline that will accept the cats in the cabin but you might call a few of them. If they travel as checked baggage they must remain on the same airline the entire trip, they cannot change airlines enroute.
    You can find the complete pet passport instructions and forms for both Trinidad and for the UK here and they can be emailed to you:
    http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Passports/
    Jerry

Comment

Jerry, thanks very much for your reply. Both my cats are microchipped with the ISO 15 digit chip, they had rabies vaccinations in December 2010 and blood test done 3 weeks later so now we need to give them boosters only. They have also never been outside UK since birth in 2009. We looked at KLM who accept pets in cabin but there is an overnight stay in Panama which might be a problem when arriving to Trinidad and therefore we have to consider another option. The pet shipping agencies quoted around 1200 - 1550 for shipment from London to Port of Spain but we still have to get the immigration certificate which I am still unsure how to get. Also, I can't find any agents that would be able to ship them back to UK in 6 months time so if you know any, please advice. We need to make sure that we can take them back too.
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
        Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
        hahahahahhaahaha

Comment

RESPONSE TO LUAGES: I regret we missed your question regarding pet shippers in Trinidad. Will you be able to prepare your pet for export? If that is the case, then it may make sense to have a transporter in the UK handle the transaction. If not, then I will check to see if I can find someone in Trinidad to handle the transport.
          Susan

Comment

Originally posted by angileena View Post
            Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
            Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
            The UK changed its rules in January. They now use the Annex II form. A Blood Titer Test will also be required for returning to the UK.
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X