Tarzan refuses to go into the kennel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarzan refuses to go into the kennel!

Only 2 weeks left until our long-distance flight (SJO - CDG then CDG - TNR). Have been kennel training my 2 dogs since 2-3 months, and Chico is fine - he loves his kennel.

But Tarzan already flew long-distance once and has a bad memory... I feed him in the kennel, throw sausage in it - he always keeps his rear legs outside and hesitates before going in. Succeeded in closing the door once, he instantly stopped eating and stood there like petrified for minutes, until I opened the door.

I am getting nervous now, because getting the pooches accustomed to the kennel is the main clue for easy traveling.

Also started to give him RESCUE Bach flower drops for dogs (should probably take them myself...).

I am grateful for ANY advice or experience - thank you in advance!

Re: Tarzan refuses to go into the kennel!

Can you take the top of the crate off (is it a plastic crate like these? https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-crates/) Then you can encourage Tarzan to go in and get lots of belly rubs. Another suggestion would be to put the crate in the car and take Tarzan to the pet store in the crate. Have someone else drive so Tarzan can see you and know that you are in the car with him. Try another trip to the dog park if there is one in your community. Do this every day if you can. If you have an old-fashioned car wash where you can stay in the car while the machine pulls it though the car wash, then try that only sit right beside Tarzan's crate so you can comfort him. Then try it again while you are in the car but not right beside him. What you are doing is creating new experiences for Tarzan to pull from. These will be fresher for him to remember. Always return home to lots of "good boys!" and attention.
    Susan

Comment

I had already done this - he sleeps in the lower part without no problems.

Now the vet at Petlounge gave me the advice to "park him backside first" - and this works!

Comment

Good idea! Had not heard of that approach. Thanks for sharing!
        Susan

Comment

You can try to temporarily collect your dog house or dog bed, then open kennel door and keep it in this state. Try to replace the dog bed and dog house with a kennel, although it looks a bit strict for your pet. But this is indeed a good way, because I have used this method, it is very effective. I believe that after one month, your Taishan will accept this kennel when you travel.

Comment

Maybe he don't feel good in the kettle or something is bothering him.
            check the kennel thoroughly. if still he dont go then get a new bed for him maybe he find it interesting and get into the kennel.
            I also bought a new pet bed for mine from reecoupons.com/view/nest-bedding and he is very happy with the new change. you know change always attracts.

Comment

Working...
            X